Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wildcat47
Returning Member

Why is TT printing a worksheet for filing 2019 Federal Return that covers whether 2018 State Refund is taxable as 2019 income? The worksheet is for calculating Line 1 of Schedule 1 though the worksheet in question makes reference to Line 10 of Schedule 1

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Why is TT printing a worksheet for filing 2019 Federal Return that covers whether 2018 State Refund is taxable as 2019 income? The worksheet is for calculating Line 1 of Schedule 1 though the worksheet in question makes reference to Line 10 of Schedule 1

If you had a State Refund in 2018, this worksheet is always used to determine if it is reportable as income or not.

If you used the Standard Deduction, it is NOT considered income to you; only if you Itemize Deductions. 

Click the link for detailed info on Taxable State and Local Refunds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Wildcat47
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply.  I understand the intent of the worksheet.  My question is why is the worksheet being printed for filing when I print a copy of my federal tax forms for filing.  Also, the 2019 worksheet references Schedule 1 Line 10 (last line of the worksheet and in the heading of the worksheet) which is not the State Refund Line.  Line 1 of the 2019 Schedule 1 is for State Refund while line 10 covers Educator Expenses.  Just trying to understand how TT does the calculations and note that the references appear to be incorrect which begs the real question of why TT is telling me to file the Worksheet.  It is my understanding that Worksheets are not to be filed based on reading through various IRS documents.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

When you print the copy of your return to file, you should have the option of printing the worksheets. You will want that option unchecked if you do not wish to print the worksheets. 

Wildcat47
Returning Member

Thanks for the response.  In the windows version I have installed, the print function provides multiple print options.  The option I selected for printing is the one titled "All official forms required for filing".  Under this option, there is no sub-option to select or deselect any of the items to be printed for the federal return.  When I selected this option, the State and Local Income Tax Refund Worksheet is included with other Federal forms to be filed for my 2019 taxes.   I have reviewed all functions associated with TT and the print function and cannot find any way to prevent the printing of this worksheet.   And just for grins, I can print each form singly, that I believe I need to file for my federal tax but still unclear why when I select the print option for Federal Filing, the State and Local Income tax Refund Worksheet is included with the other forms.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Here is the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online. Please click the help link to learn more.

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose to Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Wildcat47
Returning Member

Thanks.  However was trying to understand why the worksheet was being included in the list of documents to be filed.  

danguynn

I see customer support is as helpful as usual.

The worksheet printed for filing my return, too.  I say, this is an error, which hopefully they'll fix one day, along with the erroneous reference to line 10.

This worksheet does not have an "Attachment Sequence Number", so I'm taking the position it doesn't get included with the return.

Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies