Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ali-Bertarian
Returning Member

Why is there an extra form 8949 created by turbotax with box F checked. I had no transactions that were not reported to me. Every time I delete it, it returns

Copy 2 has the necessary information of the transactions.  Copy 3 is the extra one.  Doing K1, partnership. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Cindy0H

Why is there an extra form 8949 created by turbotax with box F checked. I had no transactions that were not reported to me. Every time I delete it, it returns

Scroll down the rest of the form 8949 (Capital Gains) to see what is listed. These are sales such as land, second homes, etc. Things that wouldn't have been on a 1099B. If these items are not correct go to the Investment section (Stocks, Bonds, Other). When you get to the screenshot page, delete sales if needed. I am wondering if it might be something from the K1. 

Ali-Bertarian
Returning Member

I didn't have any transactions for which I didn't receive a 1099B.  TurboTax seems to be creating it from the K1, since it has the same Description of Property information.  

I wasn't able to delete the form without TurboTax re-creating it, but I took your suggestion to just delete all the information on the form (Copy 3), and that seemed to do the trick.  TurboTax didn't re-create the form again.

(see followups below)
Ali-Bertarian
Returning Member

During the TurboTax review process I looked at the forms, and there was the extra 8949 form again.  It had box F checked, and it was for the same security already mentioned on one of the other 8949 forms.  (I did not have any transactions for which a 1099 was not sent.)  It had zeros for sale price and purchase price.  It does not look good to send that form to the feds.  I again tried to delete it, and it appears gone now, but TT says there are "errors" on the forms to be submitted.

Maybe TT is confused by a security for which both a K1 and a 1099 has been sent.  It does not give me confidence in what TT puts on the actual forms.
Ali-Bertarian
Returning Member

Now TT won't let me efile unless I let it create the superfluous, unneeded 8949 form.  Thanks a lot.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies