Why is my state taxes waiting for files for it to ...

Why is my state taxes waiting for files for it to be filed? Does turbo tax do these files on their end or do I have to do them?

The states have to finalize their 2020 tax forms and schedules before they become available in the TurboTax program.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for state forms availability - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

And yes...you have to go thru them yourself to make sure all is set up properly, and adjust for any special state situations.

Don't file the Federal part until your state software set is fully available, and you have been able to go thru it all and review with no problems.....no waiting forms...   It isn't a good idea to file before the first week in February...or even later if you haven't received all your final copies of your own tax forms yet (W-2, 1098, 1099-R , 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, SSA-1099 etc)