stef_pin

Why is my state return not accepted yet? It usually occurs same day as filing

SteamTrain

Depends on when you efile......later in the year, yeah usually....but everything is delayed this year

BUT....the State tax return isn't sent in until the IRS computers accept the Federal filing.   Mostly a fraud detection problem that lets the IRS computers scan the data first.

BUT #2: The IRS isn't planning to star processing any files until 12 Feb (except for a few tests)....and they can't process millions at once, so sometime the week after 12 Feb.  

IF the IRS accepts the Federal file, the state part will only then be sent on.....if the IRS computers reject the federal part for any reason, the state won't be sent on, and you have to correct eh rejection first, then re-e-file both.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
charlie39

My federal return was accepted on 2-11-2021 but my Virginia return has not. It shows pending. When I check the state tax site, it says to check your tax filing software.

AmyC

Even if you filed your federal and state returns at the same time, your state may not start processing it at the same time as the IRS.

It's not unusual for state returns to remain in pending status several days after a federal return has been accepted. This is especially common when e-filing first opens in early February. Yours may be one of the returns going through extra issues, see Why is my return still pending?  

@charlie39