turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxman2

Why is my state refund so much higher than my federal. $287 federal and $1447 NY state.

My state refund is much higher than my federal, nearly 4 times as much. $287.00 Fed, 1447.00 state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Why is my state refund so much higher than my federal. $287 federal and $1447 NY state.

Refunds are a function of many things, but one of the most important is how much you had withheld during the year compared to how much you owe.  This year, many people are receiving much smaller refunds for the Federal, or even owing, because employers used new tax tables published by the IRS as a result of the new tax laws.  Those tables caused many taxpayers to not have enough withheld from their paychecks, so now their refunds are much lower than expected.  This change did not affect the states..

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

Refunds are a function of many things, but one of the most important is how much you had withheld during the year compared to how much you owe.  This year, many people are receiving much smaller refunds for the Federal, or even owing, because employers used new tax tables published by the IRS as a result of the new tax laws.  Those tables caused many taxpayers to not have enough withheld from their paychecks, so now their refunds are much lower than expected.  This change did not affect the states..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies