Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why hasnt turbotax applied my mileage reimbursement to my final figures (reducing the tax that I owe the government)?

My situation is this, I worked pizza delivery part time (I receive a w-2 and am not self employed, but my understanding is that I am an independent contractor technically).

I entered a mileage deduction into turbotax since I have to use a personal vehicle for the job and have included my mileage records. Turbo tax claimed that I get a possible deduction of about $600. It gave a vague message stating something along the lines of "As we continue filing your taxes, we will see if this can be applied to your state return". The final figures of what I owe the government were not updated or changed at all once I had this deduction entered. I am trying to figure out if turbotax glitched and *forgot* about this deduction, but as I am about to complete my state tax portion, it appears my supposed mileage deduction is not being applied.

Its also possible that I misunderstand this deduction and perhaps it is not applicable for my situation. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Why hasnt turbotax applied my mileage reimbursement to my final figures (reducing the tax that I owe the government)?

Unfortunately, if you are an employee (Paid with a W2 not a 1099), beginning with your 2018 Tax Return, you can no longer deduct employee related expenses.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that was signed into law in December of 2017 eliminated all "Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions" formerly allowable on your Schedule A.  This includes all for "unreimbursed employee expenses" including business mileage.

For more information, please check out this TurboTax FAQ: How Will New Tax Legislation Affect My 2018 Tax Return?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, if you are an employee (Paid with a W2 not a 1099), beginning with your 2018 Tax Return, you can no longer deduct employee related expenses.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that was signed into law in December of 2017 eliminated all "Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions" formerly allowable on your Schedule A.  This includes all for "unreimbursed employee expenses" including business mileage.

For more information, please check out this TurboTax FAQ: How Will New Tax Legislation Affect My 2018 Tax Return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies