meganmar100

Why does TurboTax calculate a tax due for a dependent with wages income (Box 16) below Minnesota's $10,650 minimum income filing requirement?

MichaelL1

There are special rules for dependents.  The following is from the MN instructions. page 12.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms_and_Instructions/m1_inst_18.pdf

Dependents:
If you are a dependent, your standard deduction is one of the following, whichever is greater:
•$1,050
•Your earned income (such as wages,
taxable scholarships and grants, tips,
and self-employment earnings) plus
$350
Your standard deduction cannot exceed
the standard deduction for your filing
status and situation.

MichaelL1

If I did not fully answer your question please give me some more detail.

As I put above a dependent does not get the full standard deduction and it is limited to formula I showed and that is why they own money.
meganmar100

I only filed a federal return to get a refund for all taxes paid not because I was required to file.  The same applies to MN.  I only earned $8,300 and I do not have to pay MN taxes because I did not go over the $10,650 minimum on page 6 of the instructions.  I am only filing to get back the taxes I was not required to pay.  Last year I received a full refund.
MichaelL1

Page 6:  Filing Requirement for Residents Who are not a Dependent
meganmar100

What about a resident who IS a dependent?  
MichaelL1

If you are a dependent and have income in excess of $1,050. you can be required to file a return.