Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTax calculate a tax due for a dependent with wages income (Box 16) below Minnesota's $10,650 minimum income filing requirement?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why does TurboTax calculate a tax due for a dependent with wages income (Box 16) below Minnesota's $10,650 minimum income filing requirement?

There are special rules for dependents.  The following is from the MN instructions. page 12.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms_and_Instructions/m1_inst_18.pdf

Dependents:
If you are a dependent, your standard deduction is one of the following, whichever is greater:
•$1,050
•Your earned income (such as wages,
taxable scholarships and grants, tips,
and self-employment earnings) plus
$350
Your standard deduction cannot exceed
the standard deduction for your filing
status and situation.

If I did not fully answer your question please give me some more detail.

As I put above a dependent does not get the full standard deduction and it is limited to formula I showed and that is why they own money.

I only filed a federal return to get a refund for all taxes paid not because I was required to file.  The same applies to MN.  I only earned $8,300 and I do not have to pay MN taxes because I did not go over the $10,650 minimum on page 6 of the instructions.  I am only filing to get back the taxes I was not required to pay.  Last year I received a full refund.

Page 6:  Filing Requirement for Residents Who are not a Dependent

What about a resident who IS a dependent?  

If you are a dependent and have income in excess of $1,050. you can be required to file a return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies