Sandyjb555

Why does SSA-1099 say do not attach to income tax return? I am mailing tax returns.

I just got an SSA-1099. It says it is a Social Security Benefit Statement. On the back it says info is for my records, Do not attach to your tax returns. I am mailing my federal state and city tax returns. I don't understand why I am not suppose to include copies of this in all my tax returns as it IS income I am reporting. And also it only shows 1 copy! Not 4 like a W2 does (one to keep then one for fed, state and city tax returns) Tried asking about this as a followup question to another I posted but I was not sure about response I got. I did have federal taxes withheld from the pay listed in box 6.

You only need to attach a copy of a document that shows tax withheld to your tax return.  Did you have tax withheld from your Social Security benefits?  If no tax was withheld then you do not attach it.

Sandyjb555

Yes, in box 6 says voluntary federal income tax withheld. and then the amount.

But why does it say for records only and do not attach to tax returns on the back of the statement if I am suppose to.  Is this just a statement for records and i possibly have another SSA-1099 used for sending with taxes to fed state and city? This is why I am confused. 

You can xerox a copy of it and attach it to your Form 1040 if it shows tax withheld.  Really--you have had several replies to this same question.  You are overthinking it.