Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my payment voucher not match the amount of my federal taxes owed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do the vouchers say 2018 Form 1040ES on them?  If so, there should be four of them.  These are vouchers for you to make estimated tax payments for 2018 - not for paying your 2017 tax due.   

The voucher for paying your total balance due should be a 2017 Form 1040-V.  The amount of this voucher should be the total amount you owe from Line 78 of Form 1040 (or Line 50 of Form 1040A).  If for some reason, you don't see this voucher or the amount is actually wrong, you should pay the total balance due from your tax return.  You can use a blank voucher (link below) and put your SSN and 2017 Form 1040 on the check and mail it to the address shown on the form for your state.  Or, you can simply make an online payment (much easier this way) and the link below. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments (direct payment option to IRS)

For the estimated tax payment vouchers, the program produces these forms as a convenience for you to make estimated payments for 2018.  The program will produce them automatically if you owed tax as the government requires you to withhold enough tax to cover your tax liability or make estimated tax payments.  If you don't have enough withholding and you don't make estimated tax payments, then the IRS or your state can charge you with an underpayment penalty.

But, you are not locked into those specific payments.  If you owed tax this year because of a one-time event and you won't owe next year, then you can decline to send any payments.  You can also decline to send the payments even if you will owe tax next year, but you may be assessed an underpayment penalty. 

This would be the same for tax year 2021, correct?

Yes it would be the same for 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies