Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does it seem TT is so clunky and hard to work with now? Used it for years, but now finding some internal links and forced steps to be ridiculous.

Example: Uploaded a hi-def PDF of a 1099-DIV (since they don't connect with Transamerica.). Said I had $1.3M in capital gains (I wish!). And makes me go through 18 clicks to delete empty fields for EVERY ONE of the accounts on my 1099-DIV's when I enter them manually. Never had to before.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Why does it seem TT is so clunky and hard to work with now? Used it for years, but now finding some internal links and forced steps to be ridiculous.

Were you able to upload the same (or similar) PDF in prior years without issue?

Thank you for your response. I never needed to before. It always pulled everything in via link, which no longer seems to work now with Transamerica (although it does with Invesco). Plus, now it forces me to respond manually and delete all of the null fields before it accepts my investments as being completed (for both Transamerica and Invesco).

TurboTax does not read in PDF files of 1099-DIV  and I don't know how you loaded one.

From what you say, the result is not a pretty picture.

The only way to import such  tax documents is via the "Import from Financial Institution".

@dlwright1 

The other option presented is "Upload it from my computer. We'll use a digital copy of your form to fill in your return. Use a PDF, JPG, or PNG. Browse files or drag and drop..." It may be because I used a scanned PDF(?).

This must be a new feature, since I last used TurboTax.

@dlwright1 

Well yes you can not  use a scanned pdf.  It has to be the real created electronic pdf.  But that is only to transfer the prior year tax return into a new blank tax return.   But transferring from a pdf only transfers basic info like your name, address, ssn and prior AGI.  

Where are you seeing that you can use a pdf to import 1099 info?  Can you post a screen shot?  And JPG, PNG?  Never heard of that.

I took a screenshot earlier, but I didn't see any way to include it in my initial reply. I will try using the Insert Photos option with a PNG. I imagine it supposedly uses OCR. If so, a PDF scanned as an image also should work. (How else would you get a hard copy 1099-DIV into true PDF unless you re-created the entire form; what would be the point of that?) It is when you select "I'll try another way". You are presented with the 2 electronic options shown below, as well as "I'll enter it myself" (or words to that effect). Then the manual option refuses to recognize all the empty boxes.Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 8.09.21 AM.png

Thanks for the screenshot.  That must be a new thing.   It's not in my Desktop program.  I'll log into my test online returns and see.  

OK I see that now online.  Did you click on Help me Decide at the bottom?  It opens up a help screen.  You need to get a digital copy from the bank, etc. 

1099 DIV importjpg.jpg

So you probably have to download the 1099 pdf from your bank or  investment company.  Not scan a pdf from your hard 1099 form.  

A scanned PDF is an image. How is that different from a JPG or PNG as far as being able to read the characters?

A scan is not the same as a computer generated pdf.  That's all I know.  A pdf has to be in a specific format in the computer, it's not just an image.  Take a picture of your 1099 and try it using jpg or png.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies