turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I have to pay to use your service this year when I havent had to in the past? And why do I have to pay for both the state and federal portions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnC11

Why do I have to pay to use your service this year when I havent had to in the past? And why do I have to pay for both the state and federal portions?

It sounds like you were able to file free, but this year you're being charged.  This is understandable, as our customers continue filing for years they often go through life changes such as:

• Marriage and children, which requires tax preparation for deductions and credits in Deluxe
  • Buying a home, or renting a home to others, which requires tax preparation for investments and rental property in Premier
  • Turning a hobby into a part time self employed business, which requires tax preparation for personal & business
    income and expenses which requires Self-Employed

As a person progresses in life they generally go from Free...to Deluxe...to Premier...then Self-Employed.

If you feel it's possible a mistake's been made and you should be using TurboTax Online Free, please reach out to us so we can help resolve this together.

Go to https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Put in your question.
Submit it.
Input your contact information there.

If this helped you, please up-vote this answer so I know you were taken care of 100%. If we need to work together further to get it resolved, please comment...we'll get it taken care of together.

I'm here to help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies