turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JP120
Returning Member

Why did my state tax bill not change in MI after the $10,000 unemployment credit was applied to my Federal?

I keep getting tax notices for the original amount due from Michigan, after the credit of the first $10k of taxes were applied to my Federal for unemployment. I'm getting collection notices from the state, but I've been waiting to pay it until they lower it accordingly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrenaS
Employee Tax Expert

Why did my state tax bill not change in MI after the $10,000 unemployment credit was applied to my Federal?

Per the Michigan Department of Treasury

The Department is requesting that all taxpayers who already filed an original 2020 Michigan tax return without reporting the unemployment exclusion (for example, if the original return was filed prior to the American Rescue Plan Act) now report the unemployment exclusion by filing an amended Michigan tax return. Though the Department is still exploring potential automated mechanisms regarding the unemployment exclusion, taxpayers are strongly encouraged to file an amended return to claim any refund that may be owed to them. Any information regarding an automated solution - if possible - will be communicated in future guidance from the Department, but there is no current timetable or certainty for this option.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JP120
Returning Member

Why is it showing I owe more in Federal Taxes when I attempt to amend my state taxes? The IRS already adjusted everything on my Federal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies