Why cant I get past step 1 in the file section, I paid and I got my receipt

Some forms are not finalized so you cannot file.  The IRS has to finalize a number of forms and then approve the finalized forms in the TT software.  Many state forms are not finalized either.  What's the rush?  The IRS will not be accepting returns until January 29 at the earliest, so filing early will not get your faster refund.  The earliest refunds will not be released until mid to late February.  You just have to wait for the forms to be ready.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-state-except-busines...

there is no notification anywhere any where that says that and every time I hit continue it takes me back to view my receipt shouldn't it tell the customer what's happening?

If you click on Review what does it say?

shows me the receipt that I paid that's all and will not go to step 2

Read the screen again. Your forms are not ready. You have to wait.