Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I file electronically with a spouse who is a non-resident alien and I am filing married separate.

The only thing that is done on paper is enter "NRA" in the SSN field. I understand if I had bought TaxAct I could have filed electronically.  It would be easy to fix this to allow an override on the field or a check-box.  I spent $70 on Premier and you would think it would be easier for everyone if this went electronically.  So many chances for the IRS to mess this up from a paper return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Why can't I file electronically with a spouse who is a non-resident alien and I am filing married separate.

In fact you can file electronically in TurboTax even if your spouse does not have a tax number. You just need to indicate that the spouse's state of residence is a foreign country or US Possession when you enter your spouse's Information. On the next page you will see an option to indicate the your spouse was a non-resident alien at any time during the year on the screen that says Select Any that Apply. Then, you will be able to e-file without the taxpayer ID number. 

@crhtaxmom 

[edited 4/4/22 at 3:37 PM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your response. 

So how do you influence the IRS to accept a return where the foreign spouse has no need to get a US id number and the instructions are to write NRA on the form and send a paper return.  And the income level is pretty low so technically the person could efile for free.  I know other individuals in the same situation.  And I hear the IRS is underwater typing in returns by hand.

Appreciate your correcting my understanding about TaxAct - I had read someplace that it would work.

Thanks again

Thanks but I am still having trouble getting this to resolve no entry in the Social Security Field.

I had to go to forms view and make sure I had a personal work sheet for spouse - entered residence as FC (foreign Country).  Then tried the click box for non-resident Alien.  I must still have something off - it still is asking for a social security for the spouse who is a resident of Sweden.  Any more tips to get this to resolve - the return has a US filing address.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you don't have a Social Security Number for your spouse, leave that blank since you will need to mail in your return.  Here are your complete instructions for completing the return.

1. Prepare your return in TurboTax.
  2. When you get to the Let’s get ready to e-file screen, select File by Mail.
  3. Attach a statement to your return, signed by each of you that states that one of you is a U.S. citizen and the other is a nonresident alien and that you’re electing to both be treated as U.S. residents for tax purposes. Include the full name, address and Social Security number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) of each spouse. This won’t affect the immigration status of the nonresident alien.
  4. Mail the return to the address on the instruction sheet that prints with the return.

If your spouse doesn’t have a Social Security number or ITIN, you’ll need to apply for one when you mail in your return. To do this, follow steps 1–3 above and then do this:

1. Fill out Form W-7 and attach it to your return, as well as all necessary documentation.
  2. Mail the return to the address specified in the Form W-7 instructions.

Note: TurboTax will give you an error regarding the missing Social Security number for your spouse. You can ignore the error since you’re printing and mailing your return.

@crhtaxmom

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your team gave me this answer yesterday.  Note the spouse is not resident in the US and does not need a tax id number.  I get that I may have to print and mail - just trying to make sure that e-file is not an option.  There is a US address (family member) that can be used for filing but the US citizen taxpayer is a resident of Sweden with both Swedish earned income and US investment income, married to a Swedish citizen/resident.

Employee Tax Expert
yesterday

In fact you can file electronically in TurboTax even if your spouse does not have a tax number. You just need to indicate that the spouse's state of residence is a foreign country or US Possession when you enter your spouse's Information. On the next page you will see an option to indicate the your spouse was a non-resident alien at any time during the year on the screen that says Select Any that Apply. Then, you will be able to e-file without the taxpayer ID number. 

ThomasM125,  thanks for your tip. I am having a hard time figuring out where to input the spousal address. I dont see it in the Turbo Tax step by step process. Can you clarify?

@BridgeHall555 wrote:

thanks for your tip. I am having a hard time figuring out where to input the spousal address. I dont see it in the Turbo Tax step by step process. Can you clarify?

The only address you can enter on a tax return is the mailing address where you can be contacted if ever necessary by the IRS.  There is no such spousal address on a tax return.

Got it. I misread ThomasM125's suggestion on how to efile when the spouse is a non resident alien. I thought he suggested inputing an address, which as you said is impossible. I think fiddling around checking a non resident alien box, Turbo Tax still asks for a spousal SSN and throws an error when one is not input. With an error I cant see how one can efile? It seems to me the return has to be mailed in with the SSN filed marked as Non Resident Alien. Additonally even if the return can be transmitted by efile without the SSN, it seems to me the IRS will send notice asking about the SSN. Nowhere on the return does one see that the spouse is a non resident alien living abroad. Do you agree?

Agree.  You cannot e-file a tax return using TurboTax if your spouse is a nonresident alien and does not have either a Social Security number or an ITIN issued by the IRS.  You will have to file as Married Filing Separately.  

When completing your tax return and the TurboTax program asks for the spouse's Social Security number enter 999-88-9999.  After completing the tax return you will have print the return for mailing.  On the printed Form 1040 erase the Social Security number for your spouse and write in NRA.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

However, if you decide to file your tax return as Married Filing Jointly you must apply for an ITIN with the tax return and you would need to be providing a statement with your tax return that you want your Nonresident Alien Spouse Treated as a Resident.  See IRS Publication 54 Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad page 7 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf

Go to this IRS website for ITIN information - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/general-itin-information

Thank you for making this thread same again. IMO Thomas125M is posting erroneous information.  And I dont see why TurboTax does not fix this and allow inputting NRA in the SSN field and efiling the return.

That doesn't work - TurboTax goes into an infinite loop during e-file asking for the SSN/ITIN of spouse even if spouse is marked as non resident.

According to this article you CANNOT e-file if your spouse does not have an SSN/ITIN https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/filing-married-foreign-non-resident-spouse/00/129...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies