Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nikmeuang

Why can't I e-file with W2c?

I have the desktop version of TurboTax and when trying to e-file my return it states that I can't e-file because I have a W2c. Why can't I e-file when I think the below post from the IRS states that I can? Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

Requirement to e-file Forms W-2c.

You must e-file Forms W-2c to correct originally filed Forms W-2, W-2AS, W-2GU, and W-2VI (collectively Form W-2), but not Form W-2CM, depending on how the original Forms W-2 were correctly filed. If you were required to e-file the original Form W-2, you must e-file any Form W-2c correcting that form. If the original Form W-2 was permitted to be filed on paper and you filed on paper, then you must file on paper any Form W-2c correcting that form.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don't actually file a Form W-2c in TurboTax.  You use the information on it to modify the original W-2 that's being corrected.

Assuming that you've already entered your original Form W-2 and you haven't yet filed, go back and edit the W-2 with the information from your W-2c.

See the TurboTax Help article I got a W-2c from my employer. How do I handle this? for guidance.

After you've entered the updated information, you'll see the Let's check for uncommon situations screen.  Select the box next to W-2 was corrected by my employer (Form W-2c), then select Continue.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don't actually file a Form W-2c in TurboTax.  You use the information on it to modify the original W-2 that's being corrected.

Assuming that you've already entered your original Form W-2 and you haven't yet filed, go back and edit the W-2 with the information from your W-2c.

See the TurboTax Help article I got a W-2c from my employer. How do I handle this? for guidance.

After you've entered the updated information, you'll see the Let's check for uncommon situations screen.  Select the box next to W-2 was corrected by my employer (Form W-2c), then select Continue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies