turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nikmeuang

Why can't I e-file with W2c?

I have the desktop version of TurboTax and when trying to e-file my return it states that I can't e-file because I have a W2c. Why can't I e-file when I think the below post from the IRS states that I can? Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

Requirement to e-file Forms W-2c.

You must e-file Forms W-2c to correct originally filed Forms W-2, W-2AS, W-2GU, and W-2VI (collectively Form W-2), but not Form W-2CM, depending on how the original Forms W-2 were correctly filed. If you were required to e-file the original Form W-2, you must e-file any Form W-2c correcting that form. If the original Form W-2 was permitted to be filed on paper and you filed on paper, then you must file on paper any Form W-2c correcting that form.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don't actually file a Form W-2c in TurboTax.  You use the information on it to modify the original W-2 that's being corrected.

Assuming that you've already entered your original Form W-2 and you haven't yet filed, go back and edit the W-2 with the information from your W-2c.

See the TurboTax Help article I got a W-2c from my employer. How do I handle this? for guidance.

After you've entered the updated information, you'll see the Let's check for uncommon situations screen.  Select the box next to W-2 was corrected by my employer (Form W-2c), then select Continue.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don't actually file a Form W-2c in TurboTax.  You use the information on it to modify the original W-2 that's being corrected.

Assuming that you've already entered your original Form W-2 and you haven't yet filed, go back and edit the W-2 with the information from your W-2c.

See the TurboTax Help article I got a W-2c from my employer. How do I handle this? for guidance.

After you've entered the updated information, you'll see the Let's check for uncommon situations screen.  Select the box next to W-2 was corrected by my employer (Form W-2c), then select Continue.

I followed these exact steps and my return was rejected. Turbo Tax please help. I need to be able to e-file my W2c along with this to get my return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies