glenda-darryl

Why are you charging me 40.00 to file. I would of waited and paid with credit card if I knew this. Very angry.

The $39.99 charge was shown on the very page you selected this option.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for removing the pay with refund fee - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-pay-with-my-refund-fees-in-turbot...

celeste_10268

To qualify for the TurboTax free edition you can only have this included: 

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claim the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits

Situations NOT covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions (Schedule A)
  • Business or 1099-MISC income
    (Schedule C)
  • Stock sales (Schedule D)
  • Rental property income (Schedule E)
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on schedules 1-6, such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction

@glenda-darryl If you didn't qualify for the free edition with TurboTax the program would've prompted you to upgrade to a paid version in order to file your specific taxes. It's also possible that your adjusted gross income (AGI)  is more than what is covered under that product.  Additionally, you could've gone over the breakdown of what it was charging you before you entered your payment information since it's a try before you buy service (turbotax online). The program would've saved your progress if say you had decided to enter your payment info at another time and then you could've signed back in when you had your credit card on hand . A small recommendation I would give to you for any future filing is that you should research the IRS website and your State website to see if your eligible for other free file options provided online. Unfortunately, there are tax preparation companies that do charge for certain services that they provide in order to generate revenue for their business. If there are charges for certain tax preparation products you view online that aren't affordable for you can always browse around and compare prices and find what's best for you. 

Reference Link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/best-tax-software/why-its-free

fanfare

there are several 40 dollar charges, so which one are you referring to ?