turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I being charged an extra $40 to have my refund direct deposited?

Isn’t it Turbo-Tax that is advertising FREE, FREE?  Then why do I still have to pay $20 dollars to e-file my NC return and now I have to pay another $40 to have my refunds deposited directly into my checking account?  The former charge is the same as in the past but the later is NEW to me.  Where is the FREE in all this and why do we now have this charge for requesting direct deposit?
Ps: I am using TT Premier
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For Desktop see this screen

View solution in original post

15 Replies

TurboTax Premier desktop CD/Download edition or Premier online web-based edition?

The Refund Processing Service charge is not to get Direct Deposit.  It is so they can take the fees out of your refund.  To do that your refund has to first go through the Turbo Tax bank to take the fees out.  Then they send the rest to you.

You can still get Direct Deposit without paying the 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge by paying the fees upfront with a credit card.

Go back through the File tab and pay the 19.99 with a credit card.  Read the screens slowly and watch what button you click on in the lower right corner to continue.  They switch the buttons on that screen.

TT Premier edition:  In previous years I did not have to pay anything to have my refund "processed".  I simply indicated that I wanted direct deposit to my bank account and that is what I got without having to pay $40.  What is different this year and WHY???

The option to pay the TurboTax account fees from the federal tax refund has been part of the program for years.  You only have to decline this option and continue with filing your tax return.

I do not remember ever paying fees for my federal tax refund.   Since the NC state refund had a $20 charge associated with it I opted to file by mail in previous years.   This year I was too lazy to do it by mail.  So now I have already been charged $60 for the two fees as my Fed refund has already hit my bank account (-$60).  This stinks!

The screenshot provided below shows the options for paying by credit card or with the federal tax refund.

Sorry.  I know it’s easy to keep clicking on the bottom right corner to continue through.  But they put that other button in that spot and you have to pay attention what you click on.

I'll say it again...  I I do not remember ever paying fees for my federal tax refund either with my credit card or taking it ouy of my refund.

Federal is free to efile.  You said you mailed state.  There are no fees to mail the state return.

For Desktop see this screen

The charge is ridiculous, I get my money transfered for my bank for free thru paypal. It's just another way to jack customers. At the time I filed I had a freeze on my CC due to home buying process. Thanks for exorbitant fee's for what is free other places. 

The thing is, people pay it, and Intuit stock keeps going up.

Your reply shows a lack of intelligence and maturity. Good luck getting thru life.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies