turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Who should be reporting a dependents health insurance coverage, my dependent child or I?

My son had state health insurance for the first 5 months of the year and than didn't have coverage for the other 7.  I received the 1095-A for my husbands coverage (Marketplace) and didn't receive one for my son which is expected. Because I'm claiming my son (20) as a dependent he is listed when i get to the section to report who did and didn't have coverage. My son is listed and therefor required to indicate his insurance coverage for last year.  My son also has to file taxes and receives the same question regarding his insurance last year.  He also is required to enter something.  So  my question is who should be reporting it? if we both report his coverage, we are both penalized and taxes return amount is substantially decreased ($450 / $2700).  I cant find an answer to this question anywhere.... help please??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PepeGuitar
Returning Member

Who should be reporting a dependents health insurance coverage, my dependent child or I?

In first place, no one is ever penalized for not having health insurance coverage. You only have to say that you couldn't afford it in your area, in your place of work, etc., marking every month the person or persons did not have health insurance. To find this option, go in TurboTax to Federal Taxes/Health Insurance and then select "I'll pick who had it and which months".

In second place, if your son is your dependent, you are the one that can show the deduction for health insurance payment, not him. Your son will be your dependent if he is a part time or full time student at his age (20) and if he has low income, of course. If you need further help on this you may contact me at [not allowed]Thank you and good luck with this.

"no one is ever penalized for not having health insurance coverage. You only have to say that you couldn't afford it in your area, in your place of work, etc"

That is completely wrong and illegal.  The penalty certainly applies, and unless you meet the specific criteria of 'not affordable', you can't lie and say you meet that exemption.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies