ingletracey123

Where would I put a 1099-PATR form?

Patrice

Where would I put a 1099-PATR form?

If you received any patronage dividends from a cooperative of at least $10, the cooperative will send you Form 1099-PATR, Taxable Distributions Received From Cooperatives. You may also receive this form for any backup withholdings made on your behalf.

Most often, Form 1099-PATR reports dividends associated with farms. However, you may also receive this form for other reasons, for example if you have your home mortgage from a land bank.

Option 2

The dividend that was reported to you on Form 1099-PATR can be entered on Schedule B using the following steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Interest and Dividends section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Dividends on 1099-DIV.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any dividend income? (even though it was not reported on a 1099-DIV)
  4. On the next screen, click on I'll type it in myself.
  5. Enter the dividend information and continue through the rest of the interview.

Patrice

Where would I put a 1099-PATR form?

Option 2

dagmarina

Where would I put a 1099-PATR form?

the steps in option 2 do not accomodate form information from anything but a 1099-DIV

if i enter 1099-PATR Patronage Dividends from my coop into the Farm Income section, the questions re: farm business etc seem misleading and irrelevant.

Irene2805

Where would I put a 1099-PATR form?

In general, the dividend that was reported to you on Form 1099-PATR can be entered on Schedule B using the following steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income
  2. Scroll down to the Interest and Dividends section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Dividends on 1099-DIV.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any dividend income? (even though it was not reported on a 1099-DIV)
  4. On the next screen, click on I'll type it in myself.

There are situations were the 1099-PATR does not have to be entered.  For additional situations concerning a 1099-PATR, please see this TurboTax  Help article: Where do I enter Form 1099-PATR?

@dagmarina

JimGerner

Where would I put a 1099-PATR form?

None of the instructions I've read seem to properly and accurately account for 1099-PATR received by workers from a worker cooperative. As a former tax Intuit Tax Expert, Enrolled Agent and a Tax Pro beginning to help worker cooperatives, there should be more clear guidance.
The 1099-PATR for a worker cooperative should not be subject to SE tax and should also qualify for the QBI deduction. The easiest way to do this would be to report it as a Div  box 5 for section 199A dividends. 

However I imagine this would cause the IRS to possibly find an error.

The guidance is that it is reported as Other Income or possibly on a schedule C not subject to SE tax.

I can't figure out how to enter this properly, the other income won't give me an option for the 199a and the schedule C will be subject to SE tax.