Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ruta
Level 2

Where should I enter interest from a foreign bank? Is the "no FEIN" problem fixed?

Some posts, dated 2020 and 2021, ask this same question.  However, those posts add that, since the foreign bank has no FEIN, TurboTax treated it as an error during its review, causing the user to worry that e-filing would fail.  The workaround in those years was to enter the foreign-bank interest not in the "Interest & Dividends" section but instead in the "Less Common Income" section.

A more recent post, dated 2023 (link below), asks the same question, but the answer is to enter foreign-bank interest in "Interest & Dividends."  This suggests that the "no FEIN" problem of the past is fixed; in other words, the lack of a FEIN will not cause TurboTax review to flag it as an error, and e-filing should succeed without a FEIN. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/need-help-in-entering-interest-income-from-foreig...

To be safe, could someone please verify:  In TurboTax for tax year 2023,...

1) Where should I enter interest from a foreign bank that has no FEIN? 

In "Interest & Dividends" or "Less Common Income" or where?

2) Will the lack of a FEIN cause me to be unable to e-file my return through TurboTax?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Where should I enter interest from a foreign bank? Is the "no FEIN" problem fixed?

Interest and Dividends.   The field only requires the payer's name, no EIN is necessary to successfully e-file.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies