Ludwik

Where enter basis in Cash Surrender Value

Where in Turbo Tax do I enter my basis (premiums paid) in the Cash Surrender Value of a Life Insurance Policy I cashed out?   I received a form 1099-R and Box 2a Taxable amount was 0 and box 2b Taxable amount not determined was checked.

ToddL99

If you know what you paid in premiums, deduct that total from the amount you received as "cash-out" (Box 1) and put the resulting figure in Box 2a.

This post addresses the same issue you are facing and makes a couple of suggestions - 1099R for cash out of life insurance

In my opinion, @DavidD66 's suggestion is the best approach. It results in an accurate tax calculation, which is what the IRS is most interested in achieving..

His commentary was: "your insurance company should have determined the taxable amount and included it in Box 2a.  The only way I can figure out how to report the 1099-R, and get the correct taxable amount to flow to your Form 1040 is  for to calculate it and enter it in box 2a of your 1099-R entry.  This will result in the correct taxable amount flowing to your Form 1040, line 4b."

ToddL99

What was the distribution code in Box 7?

Ludwik

Box 7 has a "7" in it.

ToddL99

Is the amount in Box 1 the same that you got paid by the insurance company?

Ludwik

Yes, the amount in box 1 is the amount I was paid

ToddL99

Ludwik

Thank you.  I was stuck and frustrated, so I appreciate your help very much.