Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I mail paper copy 1040 when forms 8453 and poa form 2848 must also be filed --- do they all go together???

Doing sister's taxes - she is in care facility.  Have figured her 1040, have signed and filled in 2848 ready to go.  Also understand 8453 with copy of POA needs to be mailed in.  Will be paper filing with me signing as POA designee.

1.  Does this go all together to Fresno as one mailing?  Am seeing all sorts of conflicting info in your community answer section.

2. If not all together, very specifically, what forms go where separately  --- addresses please!

3. For signature, is format correct as      her name by my name, POA

Sample:   Jane Doe by Sally Smith POA

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Where do I mail paper copy 1040 when forms 8453 and poa form 2848 must also be filed --- do they all go together???

I'm basing this answer on your statement that you "Will be paper filing with me signing as POA designee." 

Here, I'm assuming that you are paper filing -- rather than electronically filing -- you sister's Form 1040.  If this is incorrect, please comment below and I'll respond. 

But if it is the case that you're paper-filing your sister's Form 1040, simply attach Form 2848 to the back of her return, and file it with your sister's return -- no Form 8453 would be needed, since that form is only required to be mailed when a taxpayer has filed an electronic return. 

If Fresno is where your sister's mailed return should be submitted -- you can verify at the IRS’ Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment page-- then that's where her Form 1040, with Form 2848 attached, would be mailed.

Your signature format is fine.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

I'm basing this answer on your statement that you "Will be paper filing with me signing as POA designee." 

Here, I'm assuming that you are paper filing -- rather than electronically filing -- you sister's Form 1040.  If this is incorrect, please comment below and I'll respond. 

But if it is the case that you're paper-filing your sister's Form 1040, simply attach Form 2848 to the back of her return, and file it with your sister's return -- no Form 8453 would be needed, since that form is only required to be mailed when a taxpayer has filed an electronic return. 

If Fresno is where your sister's mailed return should be submitted -- you can verify at the IRS’ Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment page-- then that's where her Form 1040, with Form 2848 attached, would be mailed.

Your signature format is fine.

patrick-tu0111
Returning Member

Hi

I am doing paper filing and need to attach my Robinhood 1099 statement with 8453.

Can I send all the 1040, 8453, and supproted materials( Robinhood 1099) all together to IRS to complete my paper filing?

the reason is I could not sucessfully import my document to my turbo tax premier.

Or I need to send two mails, one to IRS with regular paper filing 1040. then the other one to IRS for 8453 with supported materials?

thnaks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies