turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter the payment I made with my extension request

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 line 70 you need to enter it.  So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to
Federal Taxes (or Personal for H&B/Self Employed version)
Deductions and Credits
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension
Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

Pay attention to which year you are entering for a State Extension payment.  A prior year state extension payment is also deductible on the federal return so be sure to enter it here.

To get the amount paid on a state extension to show up on the state return……
When you are done updating your federal return, you need to transfer the new federal information by going back through the state tab and the state return. Nothing will change until you transfer the fed info to the state again.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 line 70 you need to enter it.  So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to
Federal Taxes (or Personal for H&B/Self Employed version)
Deductions and Credits
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension
Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

Pay attention to which year you are entering for a State Extension payment.  A prior year state extension payment is also deductible on the federal return so be sure to enter it here.

To get the amount paid on a state extension to show up on the state return……
When you are done updating your federal return, you need to transfer the new federal information by going back through the state tab and the state return. Nothing will change until you transfer the fed info to the state again.
PaulyB

State level estimated payment, within the federal level tab of turbotax: 

"If you've made extension payments on multiple state returns, select Multiple States from the list and enter the total amount of state extension payments. Make sure to go to each state return and enter the extension payment for that state." 

How do I get to the place to enter each states extension payments?

nbbapat

2018 federal taxes paid with extension shows up with right amount in the Deduction and Credits tab (Income Tax Paid), however it does NOT show up eventually on 1040 line 70. And turbotax asks me to pay tax again. Please help. 

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes  This will show up on line 17 of your Form 1040

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I too, have gone in an entered in the extension payment  in the "deductions & credits" as well.  It shows the amount but when I click "done" with tax payments it does not show up in the summary or on the 1040.

I did review your steps but have been unsuccessful. 

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time 7 days per week through October 25, 2019.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Tinaec

what about payments made after extension was filed like ... period of payments thru the summer

@ lmtaylor3319 wrote:

I too, have gone in an entered in the extension payment  in the "deductions & credits" as well.  It shows the amount but when I click "done" with tax payments it does not show up in the summary or on the 1040.

I did review your steps but have been unsuccessful. 

If you are referring to a Federal extension payment, there is a known bug in that regard.   If you are using the desktop software (CD/download version), it is easy to correct in Forms Mode.  See the information I provided a user in this other related thread at the link below on how to either make the entry on the Tax Payments worksheet, Line 9 or how to place a checkmark on the Form 4868, which then allows it to flow to the Tax Payments worksheet.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-federal-tax-extension-payment...

If you are using Online TurboTax, you'll have to phone TurboTax Support as xmasbaby0 outlined in her comment.

I had the same problem as nbbapat and lmtaylor3319. Using Premier, desktop version for Mac, the amount of my extension payment did not automatically populate to the 1040. I was on the phone with TurboTax support, who were no help, when I discovered that I could in fact edit line 9 of the Tax Payments Worksheet which fixed the problem. It seemed like TurboTax was not letting me edit values in forms mode until I quit and relaunched TurboTax.

@ rmjktaylor  wrote:

I don't know what product you are using and whether it is desktop software or online, and I don't know if you are referring to a Federal extension payment or state extension payment.   However, Federal and state extension payments are entered in the same interview topic.  In general, this is how to get to that topic.

Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in desktop Home and Business).
Subtab "Deductions and credits."

"I'll choose what I work on" (this screen only appears in the desktop products).

Scroll way down to "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."

Choose subtopic "Other Income Taxes" (desktop) or "Income Taxes Paid" (online version.)

Next screen choose "Payments with extensions".

Choose the type of extension payment.

It "may" be prepopulated if you prepared the extension with TurboTax.  If so, verify it's correct.

IMPORTANT:  After finishing that interview and before filing, if it's a Federal payment make sure the extension payment shows up on a form called Schedule 5, Line 71 .   And also check the Form 1040, Line 17 to be sure you are getting proper credit for the extension payment.   For some users there is a bug where the extension payment did not show up on Schedule 5 and Form 1040.

If it's not showing up, we can tell you a possible workaround.   If needed, please state if you are using desktop software (CD/download) or online TurboTax.

Of course, if you have a state extension payment, make sure you are getting credit for it on the state return prior to filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies