Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sincube

Where do I enter my California EV tax credit for 2018?

I purchased an electric vehicle in 2018.  I was able to claim the federal tax credit of $7,500 but could not find a place in the California state tax section to claim the $2,500 state tax credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is no longer a low-emission vehicle tax credit on the California state return. (see page 25 of the California instructions).

Instead, there is a rebate program administered by the California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project which provides rebates to buyer of certain low emission vehicles. These rebates are not handled as part of the tax return.

Contact the Rebate Project for your rebate.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

There is no longer a low-emission vehicle tax credit on the California state return. (see page 25 of the California instructions).

Instead, there is a rebate program administered by the California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project which provides rebates to buyer of certain low emission vehicles. These rebates are not handled as part of the tax return.

michaelmm
Returning Member

The link to "see page 25 of the California instructions" is broken. 

@michaelmm Instead of clicking "see  page 25"   did you read the rest of that reply?   It gives you a different link AND it tells you that you do not get the credit on your tax return---it is a separate program.

Instead, there is a rebate program administered by the California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project which provides rebates to buyer of certain low emission vehicles. These rebates are not handled as part of the tax return.

And.....are you using 2018 software to prepare the 2018 return you are working on?   You cannot use the current online software to prepare a 2018 return.  Online is only for 2020---no other year.   A 2018 return can only be prepared using downloaded desktop software on a full PC or Mac.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
michaelmm
Returning Member

Thanks. Do you think it is not too late for the rebate, considering I'm applying now for 2018?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies