Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter items that go to Form 8949, Part II, Box F? Where do I go in TurboTax to do this?

I just need to know where in TurboTax online to enter information that goes to Form 8949, Part 2, Box F? An accountant told me how to write off my unrecovered basis in a business sale. He said it goes on on 8949, Part II, Box F. Please be detailed on how I get there online. Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Where do I enter items that go to Form 8949, Part II, Box F? Where do I go in TurboTax to do this?

In TurboTax Premier, sign in and click on Take me to my return.  Once inside your return, click on Federal (left menu) and then choose Wages & Income (top menu).  Scroll down to the Investments section (image attached).  You can also type 1099-b into the search bar, hit enter, and use the Jump to link to get there.  

Enter the transaction as follows, it will show up on Form 8949, Part ll, and Box F will be checked.  You will also need 2 dates (purchased and disposed of dates) to properly enter the transaction.  No adjustments will be necessary.

• Click Start or Revisit next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (see attached)
  • If you already have sales entered, click Add More Sales at the bottom
  • Answer NO to Did you receive a 1099-B
  • Choose Everything Else - last option for Type of sale
  • The description is Worthless Installment Sale
  • Proceeds = amt ,if any, you received and Date of Sale (date in 2018)
  • Select how you acquired the investment
  • Enter the basis and the date you acquired the investment
  • TurboTax will calculate your loss and put in on Form 8949

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

In TurboTax Premier, sign in and click on Take me to my return.  Once inside your return, click on Federal (left menu) and then choose Wages & Income (top menu).  Scroll down to the Investments section (image attached).  You can also type 1099-b into the search bar, hit enter, and use the Jump to link to get there.  

Enter the transaction as follows, it will show up on Form 8949, Part ll, and Box F will be checked.  You will also need 2 dates (purchased and disposed of dates) to properly enter the transaction.  No adjustments will be necessary.

• Click Start or Revisit next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (see attached)
  • If you already have sales entered, click Add More Sales at the bottom
  • Answer NO to Did you receive a 1099-B
  • Choose Everything Else - last option for Type of sale
  • The description is Worthless Installment Sale
  • Proceeds = amt ,if any, you received and Date of Sale (date in 2018)
  • Select how you acquired the investment
  • Enter the basis and the date you acquired the investment
  • TurboTax will calculate your loss and put in on Form 8949

Thanks so much!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies