turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cha30

How do I know how much my double-taxed income was? And the taxes paid on it? Filling out a part-year residency form and it's truly confusing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anita01

How do I know how much my double-taxed income was? And the taxes paid on it? Filling out a part-year residency form and it's truly confusing.

When you do two part-year returns, you should do the nonresident state return first and then the one where you lived at the end of the year.  TurboTax will then transfer this information for you from the first return tot he second.  

Basically, you would have no double taxed income on part-year returns if you changed jobs when you moved.  If you moved and continued working for the same company but forgot to tell them you lived in a different state now, they may have continued withholding for the old state after you moved.  That's what double taxed income means.  It is confusing though and that's why it's best to let the program do this part for you.  Following are instructions on how to remove the states if you did them in an incorrect order.  You can then start them over.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

If I moved from CA to DC, and my company changed my address about a month after I physically moved, would that mean I was double taxed for that month or would I report the dates of my residency based upon the date that my address was changed in my company payroll system? My pay stubs stop showing any amount under CA W/h in October 2019 and start showing amounts under DC W/h. Does this mean that I"m not being double taxed?

When I started to fill out my CA return, it seemed like I had to report all my income to California based on the TurboTax example provided (Example 2: X lived in CA at the start of the year. She moved to AZ in May but continued to work at the same job in CA for the rest of the year. She earned $20,000 while living and working in CA and $30,000 while living in Arizona and working in California. Overall X earned $50,000 living or working in CA). I put in my total income for the year since the above example applied to my situation but given that my employer changed my address and after that there was no more CA w/h, do I need to fill out the box that asks to enter the income taxed by both DC and CA and the taxes you paid to CA? For some reason, TurboTax did not autofill this for me. If so, how do I figure out the income taxed by both DC and CA (i.e. double-taxed income) and the tax paid to CA on the double-taxed income?

Thank you!

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

When you complete your state tax returns you will be asked for the dates that you were in each state.  These are the dates that TurboTax will use to apportion your income from each state.  The date your employer changed your address is not reported to the states or the IRS.  The dates of residency are the dates you provide.  You are not doubled taxed on the same amount of income.  Generally your new home state will give you credit for the portion of your income that you paid taxes on to your old state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. When I started to do my California return, it asked how much of my total adjusted income was earned while living or working in California. Would I report a percentage of the total adjusted income or the entirety since I continued to work for my employer who is based in California? 

Subsequently, would the number calculated from my question above be the same one I report for the box asking for the income I received while residing outside of DC? Or would I look at Box 16 on my CA W-2?

To add into the mix, I'm filing MFJ. My spouse started working in DC when we moved. How does that affect the answers to the above questions? 

Thanks again.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You can calculate your earnings from California as a percentage of your totals earnings based on the number of days you worked in CA.

I.E. ($100,000 x (days in CA/Total days))  This would also be the income you exclude from your DC income.

If your wife only earned income in DC after moving from CA she will report her income on your DC tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies