turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Home & Business

I am using Turbotax Home & Business. Why does Turbotax ask me to pay extra $24.99 for California State e File fee and $39.99 for Premium service?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Turbotax Home & Business

When you are using the CD/Download desktop software, 1 free download of the software is included but there is an e-file fee for the state returns. You can avoid that fee if you print and mail the state return instead. See here Is there a fee to e-file my state taxes?

If you go here TurboTax CD/Download software and then click on "1 state download" under the Home & Business version, it will provide this information for you as well and show "E-file additional" and the current e-file fee is also shown there if you scroll to the very bottom of that pop-up window.

And for those taxpayers that live in California and choose to pay your TurboTax fees with your federal refund, that requires the Premium Service which includes the Refund Processing Service (pay with refund) option. See here What is the Premium Services bundle?

If you wish to avoid the Premium Services fee, you can remove that option and pay your TurboTax fees with a credit/debit card instead. You can find steps to remove Premium Services here How Do I Remove Premium Services From My Purchase?