turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

APeters

When will the 2021 8915-f form be available on Turbo Tax to efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1,232 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-F is used to report a disaster-related retirement distribution, and any repayments of those funds. It also allows you to spread the taxable portion of the distribution over three years, if needed and report prior year distribution amounts which are to be taxed in 2021.

TurboTax will complete and include Form 8915-F with your return if you qualify. Just enter your Form 1099-R and answer a few questions to determine your eligibility.

The IRS completed a draft mode of the Instructions for Form 8915-F in January 2022.

Please read this helpful TurboTax FAQ for additional information: What is Form 8915-F What is Form 8915-F Qualified 2021 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments?

Similar 8915 forms are tentatively available 3/17/22.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So this might not be available until March?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS works on the forms based on most popular to least used. The form 8915-F is not widely used so the IRS has it later on the list. Once the IRS publishes the form, Turbo Tax should have it up and going in the program normally within 24 hours.

@susiedoody

@AmyC wrote:

Yes, the IRS works on the forms based on most popular to least used. The form 8915-F is not widely used so the IRS has it later on the list. Once the IRS publishes the form, Turbo Tax should have it up and going in the program normally within 24 hours.

@susiedoody

Acctually, usually 2-3 weeks after the form is published.   TurboTax (and all other tax software) cannot program from the form, they must use e-file specifications (schemas) to program from that the IRS must write and make available after the final form is published.   Then the IRS requires that the tax software provider do tests with the IRS to be sure that their software is compatible with the IRS computer - that process usually takes about 2-3 weeks after the final form is published.

The form is currently in the draft state but you can view the draft form and the instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8915f--dft.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i8915f--dft.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you!!

I just saw in one post that it was available for professional tax services on Jan. 13, 2022, and then one place on the irs website that it will be able to be filed Jan 24th but not sure if that means paper or electrinic. Also while chatting with someone on TurboTax directly a few days ago the stated that it would possibly be released with other IRS Forms on Feb 1st. So many different dates out there. So frustrating.

@bolive wrote:

I just saw in one post that it was available for professional tax services on Jan. 13, 2022, and then one place on the irs website that it will be able to be filed Jan 24th but not sure if that means paper or electrinic. Also while chatting with someone on TurboTax directly a few days ago the stated that it would possibly be released with other IRS Forms on Feb 1st. So many different dates out there. So frustrating.

Since the Form 8915-F is still in draft mode on the IRS website, no one can tell you when it is going to be available to the public.

Go to this IRS website for draft forms and schedules for 2021 - https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/draftTaxForms.html

So, maybe someone can help me here. I did the Cares Act thing. Agreed to file the taxes during the 2020,21, and 22 tax years. The return for 2020 was filed with the 8915-E form. Am I supposed to wait for this 8915-F form now? Or how do I file this second payment? 

@sniro29 wrote:

So, maybe someone can help me here. I did the Cares Act thing. Agreed to file the taxes during the 2020,21, and 22 tax years. The return for 2020 was filed with the 8915-E form. Am I supposed to wait for this 8915-F form now? Or how do I file this second payment? 

To fie it for 2021 you must have the 8915-F form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

@sniro29 If you elected to spread the tax on a Coronavirus related distribution over three years, you will have to wait for Form 8915-E to be approved in order to file your tax return.

The 8915-E was approved last year. Which is how I was able to file the first of 3 payments. I just need to know how to file the next one. Does the 8915-E need to be approved again? Or is it the pending 8915-F that's now needed? I'm sorry I'm confused as to how the first form even needed a change. 

@sniro29 wrote:

The 8915-E was approved last year. Which is how I was able to file the first of 3 payments. I just need to know how to file the next one. Does the 8915-E need to be approved again? Or is it the pending 8915-F that's now needed? I'm sorry I'm confused as to how the first form even needed a change. 

The Form 8915-E was only for tax year 2020.  For tax year 2021 you will need the Form 8915-F.  This form has not been finalized by the IRS as of this date.  It may not be until sometime in March 2022 before the form is available from the IRS and also finalized in the TurboTax software.

Thank you everyone for the help. 

How ridiculous is that!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies