turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joeben_99

The IRS has not taken my bank payment. How can I make sure my payment information is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

95 Replies

The IRS has not taken my bank payment. How can I make sure my payment information is correct?

When will my tax payment go through?

During non-peak times, funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specify, assuming your e-filed return has already been accepted (received) by the IRS.

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day.

Now, if you filed right before (or on) the busy April 18 deadline, the IRS may not be able to debit your payment until after the deadline, due to high e-filing volume. In addition, it can take your bank another few days to post the debit to your account.

No worries; as long as you filed your return or extension on or before April 18 and you selected April 18 (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment.

In the meantime, keep an eye on your bank account – if you still don't see the debit 7-10 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency, as appropriate.

**** Make sure you set up the payment correctly ****

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the federal and state filing instruction sheet with the Turbotax logo. 

If you owed tax, they will show the payment information and how you decided to pay.  

>If you indicated pay by mail, then you need to mail in a check.  

>If you selected credit card, it will probably be processed in a couple of days.  

>If you selected debit from your bank account, that information is passed on to the state and IRS and they will do the debit when they process your return information -- usually 1-3 weeks for e-file and 3-4 weeks if mailed in.  

> If you also owe the state ... read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

I filed the taxes February 21, 2021. 
I  completed the pay online with TurboTax however the money is still in my account.

ive tried to contact the IRS but can’t get threw

hell please

experiencing same - filed this past sunday - state and local have processed - update on federal processing delay would be appreciated turbotax  ... thank you 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Please be patient - the IRS will process your payment as quickly as they are able.

The IRS cannot debit your bank account any earlier than you authorized when filing, but they can wait as long as they want after that date. Presently, they are way behind in processing returns and issuing refunds because of ongoing changes in the tax code. It is reasonable to believe the same delays are occurring in payment processing.

According to  the Washington Post (Mar 12, 2021):

Nearly 7 million tax filers are in limbo and facing substantial delays in getting refunds so far this tax filing season, as the Internal Revenue Service struggles to keep up with the demands of issuing stimulus checks and implementing myriad tax code changes from coronavirus relief packages, including the one President Biden signed this week.

There are 6.7 million returns that have not yet been processed, more than three times the number in the same period last year, when fewer than 2 million returns faced delayed processing, IRS data shows.

@cjotwins5

Will I accrue interest or penalty if I filed my return and paid any money owed prior to the deadline but the IRS debits my account after the deadline? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

No, you will not be charged any penalties or interest it if takes the IRS longer to debit your account.

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more information about this subject:  When will my tax payment go through?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mine is taking a while too and hasn't been debited from my account.

I have spoken to the IRS and they told me if they do not take the money from my account on or before May 17, 2021 I will have to pay a penalty and owe interest on the payment - even though I asked the IRS via TurboTax to take the payment from my checking account on April 8, 2021 - and money is STILL in the account.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Perhaps the person at the IRS wasn't accurate with their answer. This TurboTax Help article states that as long as you selected May17, 2021 or earlier as your payment date, you won't be penalized.

Mine was dated 4/7/2021 and still in my account as well. State took my $ real quick.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

It is possible the IRS has not processed your return yet.  Did you have unemployment benefits?  Recovery Rebate credit?  I would recommend getting a free transcript of your 2020 return through IRS.gov.   There you can check on your return progress and see if any holds or codes are indicated. Click here to access your tax return information.

Transcript not available for 2020 on irs.gov. No, no unemployment benefits, recovery rebate, etc.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You may need to wait a bit longer for the system to update as sometimes it takes a little more time.  The IRS has had to implement many changes in the last few weeks so they may be taking a bit longer.  Trying using the following link to track your refund.

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

@geewunders

I'm not receiving a refund though. I'm just trying to make a payment and it's odd that it's taken this long.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies