Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When upgrading from TurboTax Premier to Home and Business, what happens to incomplete returns started in Premier? Are they modified in any way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When upgrading from TurboTax Premier to Home and Business, what happens to incomplete returns started in Premier? Are they modified in any way?

NO STOP!    You do not need Home & Business.  H&B is for personal 1040 returns that need schedule C for self employment.  It will not do a 1041 return.  And Premier will do the same thing as H&B.  All the personal Desktop programs have the same forms.

To prepare a 1041 return, you need to buy the Turbo Tax Business Desktop program, not to be confused with the personal Home & Business version. Home & Business is just for personal returns that need schedule C for self employment. TT Business is not available to do online or on a Mac.  You can have Business and Premier installed at the same time on the same computer.

You can buy the Windows Desktop program here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/cd-download

Window System Requirements
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, you can start your Home and Biz return from your Premier account, but once you start using the desktop software, nothing will change on your Online return - it will get wiped out later in the tax season when we start the 2024 returns (in Oct).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick response!  I do have some clarifications:

I currently have desktop TurboTax Premier.  I essentially have two incomplete returns: 1) personal taxes that don't require 1041 support, and 2) final estate return that does require 1041 support.  So, if I upgrade to Home and Business, it would have to be desktop, right?  And, if so, I'd like to continue my personal return and start the estate return using 1041 and Schedule K-1.  Since I've entered most of the data, I'd like to simply continue in the upgraded desktop environment. 

So, I don't have an Online return, only the desktop software.

NO STOP!    You do not need Home & Business.  H&B is for personal 1040 returns that need schedule C for self employment.  It will not do a 1041 return.  And Premier will do the same thing as H&B.  All the personal Desktop programs have the same forms.

To prepare a 1041 return, you need to buy the Turbo Tax Business Desktop program, not to be confused with the personal Home & Business version. Home & Business is just for personal returns that need schedule C for self employment. TT Business is not available to do online or on a Mac.  You can have Business and Premier installed at the same time on the same computer.

You can buy the Windows Desktop program here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/cd-download

Window System Requirements
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies