Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sea0824
Returning Member

When reporting 100-b for crypto and investment sales, turbo tax only asks if I sold any. because filing jointly, does it matter if it was my spouse or i who sold them?

turbo tax does not give option to say who the 1099-b belongs to. only question  they ask says  "did you." im guessing that since we are filing jointly it doesn't matter but i wanted to check.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

When reporting 100-b for crypto and investment sales, turbo tax only asks if I sold any. because filing jointly, does it matter if it was my spouse or i who sold them?

You are correct, it does not matter.  If either of you effected transactions involving cryptocurrency as contemplated by the question on Form 1040, then you should answer that question with a "yes."  Filing MFJ means that the return includes all income, deductions, and credits for both taxpayers, including whether either taxpayer had transactions involving digital assets.  Digital assets include cryptocurrencies.  

@sea0824

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sea0824
Returning Member

thank you

it does matter because carryover losses go with the spouse who owns the account.

a 1099-B from a brokerage will belong to one spouse or the other.

when you don't have a 1099-B, you need to keep your own records. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies