djhaselbauer

When purchasing equipment for sole proprietorship, some items returned/exchanged. Do I include cost in date A and discount on date B when returned or leave out?

I purchased equipment (e.g. computer monitors, printer, etc) on several dates in 2017. On some of the earlier purchases, I found I had purchased incorrect items for my needs or found better items and returned/exchanged earlier purchases. The business expense / other common business expenses screen in TurboTax includes the date and comments (what was purchased). Do I put in the full amount on, for example, the first purchase date, and note the return (negative amount) on another line at the later date, or do I note the amount on the first purchase date less the amount of equipment that was later returned or exchanged?

You can do it either way as long as you do it the same way consistently.

djhaselbauer

Thank you.