turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I pay my federal with Turbo tax is the self-employment tax included?....seems like one option pays too much, the other not enough

Hard to tell if I'm asking a silly question, but started an new business this year and as expect, it was a little soft....when I go through TT, I come up with 

Federal Due, about $3800

Self Employment Tax, $3650.

When I pay the $3800 is that including the $3650?  I never get prompted to pay the self-employment part separately, but paying both would seem higher than what I'd expect to pay, paying just one seems like not enough.  I read the stuff about half of the self-employment being deductible---which makes it even more unclear.  Just need to know if I need to make separate arrangements to pay the rest. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
syp_vandy

When I pay my federal with Turbo tax is the self-employment tax included?....seems like one option pays too much, the other not enough

Hi @jonnyballgame34, once you've completed the Federal part of your return on TurboTax (assuming you've entered your self-employment income and expenses), the Federal amount due includes the amount you need to pay for self-employment tax. You'll only need to make one payment at the end. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
syp_vandy

Hi @jonnyballgame34, once you've completed the Federal part of your return on TurboTax (assuming you've entered your self-employment income and expenses), the Federal amount due includes the amount you need to pay for self-employment tax. You'll only need to make one payment at the end. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much, (My taxes are half of what I thought they were).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies