Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

aep2
Returning Member

When I enter my 2021 economic stimulus amount into Turbo Tax, my tax goes from about a $1900 refund to a $1700 amount owed. Why?

I did my taxes and honestly forgot that we received a 3rd stimulus payment in march 2021. When it came to select yes or no on the question if I received my payment I selected no. My refund was accepted then I received notification that my refund was being adjusted from $1,555 to $155?  I understand it was my mistake, but I normally get around the same amount BEFORE we started getting the stimulus payments. I did my boyfriends taxes though a different program and he is receiving his normal amount. I called IRS and they told me its bc I selected no and thats all they could tell me. Im the only person Ive heard of this happening to, everyone i talk to is goiving me that same answer, but it still doesnt make sense??!?!??!? Can anyone help?!?!

When I enter my 2021 economic stimulus amount into Turbo Tax, my tax goes from about a $1900 refund to a $1700 amount owed. Why?

@aep2 You cannot get the stimulus money for the 3rd EIP of $1400 per person payment twice.   If you already received it and then put it on line 30 of your Form 1040 again by answering the question incorrectly, the IRS reduced your refund by $1400.  

If you think your refund should have been higher for some other reason unrelated to the EIP mistake then you should print out 2020 and 2021 and compare them side by side to see what else was different between those two tax years for you.

If it is any comfort to you, the user forum is seeing plenty of other people who "forgot" about receiving $1400 and had reduced refunds as a result.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
aep2
Returning Member

is there anyway to dispute this? im totally to blame for not paying attention, whats not making sense is my amount for before the stimulus to now. nothing else has changed, ive had the same job, claimed the same and do not make near the "cut off" amount.

@aep2 What do you want to dispute?   You do not get the $1400 again.   You made a mistake.  Why do you think your refund should be more for 2021?     Check the amounts you entered for your W-2's and all your other income.   Was it all entered correctly?   Is there some other credit you think you should have received that you did not get for 2021?   Compare your 2020 and 2021 tax returns---side by side.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
aep2
Returning Member

im not saying i want the 1400 again. i dont understand why my refund is over a thousand dollars less then normal, its almost like im being punished for receiving the stimulus and i have to pay it back

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies