Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ediemitch

When do I adjust the 1099INT amount reported for my deceased mom? How is IRS informed another SS# is responsible for difference?

1099INT has a year's worth of reported interest that my mom, who passed away 8.18.16, is responsible through that date and I am responsible for the remainder of the year as I am her only heir.  Where/how is this done?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When do I adjust the 1099INT amount reported for my deceased mom? How is IRS informed another SS# is responsible for difference?

For the 2016 returns you just report the correct amounts on her final return and the remainder on your return and document in the tax records you keep that the total has been reported.

The bank need to be notified and the account switched to your name so this does not happen again for 2017 tax year. 

There is really nothing you can do at this point to notify IRS.  If you filed a paper return and sent an explanation with it, you still may get a letter from IRS a year or two from now.  

But if you do file a paper return for your mother I would attach a statement as to how the interest income was allocated. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For the 2016 returns you just report the correct amounts on her final return and the remainder on your return and document in the tax records you keep that the total has been reported.

The bank need to be notified and the account switched to your name so this does not happen again for 2017 tax year. 

There is really nothing you can do at this point to notify IRS.  If you filed a paper return and sent an explanation with it, you still may get a letter from IRS a year or two from now.  

But if you do file a paper return for your mother I would attach a statement as to how the interest income was allocated. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies