turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked in NYC on a 'B1 in lieu of H1B' visa for 6 months, I received my income from an Italian company, and have no W-2. How to report correctly?

Because the work is performed in the US, I believe I have to report it as US source income, but I have no W-2 though..
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I worked in NYC on a 'B1 in lieu of H1B' visa for 6 months, I received my income from an Italian company, and have no W-2. How to report correctly?

When did you first come to US with the visa ?  2016 ?

I was on a J1 visa going until February 2016, and then switched to 'B1 in lieu of H1B' for another company starting March 2016 - for six months
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

So, did you stay in US from March - December in 2016 on the H-1 visa ?

No, March - August 2016 on 'B1 in lieu of H1B'. For tax purposes I'm a resident, following the substantial presence test. I'm pretty sure I have to consider my income on this visa as US source income, but because I don't have a W-2, I don't know if this created problems for the company or not.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

See answer below

great, thank you! And for the State return I also include these wages under 'Your Wages Summary' right?, because it does not automatically transfer from my federal to state return for some reason.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, the information entered from federal will be automatically transferred to the state section.  However, you do need to go through the state tax section to make sure all the questions including credits and deductions related are covered.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you are considered as a resident for tax purposes , you will enter your wages under Other Reportable Income in TurboTax online program by following the steps below.  To do so, you will need to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe online edition to complete your filing.  After entering the information, the program will transfer the amount onto line 7 of your Form 1040.

1.  After sign into your account, select orange button Take me to my return

2.  Top right corner / in the search box- type in " other reportable income", follow prompts to upgrade to continue

3.  On screen, "Other Wages Received", answer Yes / continue to follow prompts

4. On screen, "Any Other Earned Income", answer Yes 

5.  On screen, "Enter Source of Other Earned Income". answer Other

6.  On screen, "Any Other Earned Income", enter description and amount. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies