melonyellow

What to put for 'occupation'?

Hello. I am starting my 2019 taxes, and am curious how to handle the 'occupation' field. Am I supposed to list what my occupation was in 2019, or do I list what it is now? I am currently unemployed, so I'm wondering how to handle.

Thank you.

DawnC

What to put for 'occupation'?

It does not matter which occupation you pick.  That filed is only to track statistics so enter the name of whichever job you prefer to.   You can make up an occupation or enter your dream occupation - it really does not matter.  

What to put for 'occupation'?

The IRS only uses "occupation" for statistical purposes, so it will have no effect at all on your refund or tax due.  But would it not make sense to use the occupation you had when you earned the income in 2019--since it is a 2019 return?

melonyellow

What to put for 'occupation'?

Hi @xmasbaby0 . I've seen certain responses on similar posts saying to put the current occupation, but I've also seen other responses saying to put what the occupation was during the tax year. So I'm not sure. 

DawnC

What to put for 'occupation'?