Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

henri3

What tax program will allow me to estimate my 2018 taxes right now using the new tax laws for my 2018 quarterly estimates?

I currently purchased TurboTax Deluxe, but I am not sure if it will allow me to do 2018 quarterly tax estimates.  I plan on re-computing my quarterly tax liabilities during the 2018 year to minimize my taxes for April 2019.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What tax program will allow me to estimate my 2018 taxes right now using the new tax laws for my 2018 quarterly estimates?

The 2017 TurboTax program will have the estimated tax Form 1040-ES for 2018 available once the IRS approves the forms.  The program will have the section updated for estimating 2018 taxes after the IRS has issued the worksheets which are included for the 1040-ES.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for IRS forms availability (dates subject to change) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-perso...

Note - The TurboTax 2017 software was updated for the 2018 Form 1040-ES.

See this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2584228-can-turbotax-calculate-next-year-s-federal-estimated-taxes

View solution in original post

46 Replies
apzelic

I need a clear, explicit answer to this question: Does TurboTax 2017 Premier allow me to estimate my 2018 BASED ON THE NEW TAX LAW and NOT on the pre-2018 tax law?  If so, EXACTLY how do I estimate my 2018 taxes?  It looks like the current "What-if" form in the 2017 TurboTax is giving me an answer based on my taxes for 2017 and the 2017 tax law.

Why is it so hard to get an answer to this question?

@apzelic  The What If worksheet is for the 2017 tax year, not 2018.

Try taxcaster:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

on the 2017 what if form, there is a row to specify when to use the 2018 tax rates for each alternative.  "check box to use 2018 tax rates"  this is right below the description for each alternative.

I used the Fed tax What-IF page in TT2017 and specified to use 2018 tax rates.  The sheet grabs numbers from your return but you can over-ride them with what you think your 2018 numbers will be.  Works very nicely.  Only problem is there is nothing for New York State.  BUT - I never knew the taxcaster was there - that appears to do the same thing effectively - great for TT for doing it.  I won't say what I think of the Infernal Revenue for not doing it.

Only TT desktop has What If. TT online does not.

The what if is rather crude and does not do a good job in my opinion.   TaxCaster is much better. And what if is only in the desktop products.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I'll give it a whirl too!
Martin53

The 2018 Form 1040-ES appears to be available from the IRS website. Will TurboTax 2017 be updated so I can project different tax scenarios under the new tax law? Any idea of when these changes will be made?
rebatte

The IRS has posted the estimator online as of now, when will turbotax update the 2017 software?

@Martin53  @rebatte
The TurboTax 2017 software was updated months ago for the 2018 Form 1040-ES.
See this TurboTax support FAQ - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2584228-can-turbotax-calculate-next-year-s-federal-estimated-taxes...>
rebatte

This is not applicable to the software, only the on-line program

Sure it is applicable to both the desktop software and the online editions.  Use the Find box and enter 1040-es and then Jump to 1040-es
Or -
For the desktop edition, Click on Federal Taxes>Other Tax Situations>Other Tax Forms>Form W-4 and estimated taxes
rebatte

I appreciate the effort, but there isn't a find box on the home and bus. version

@rebatte - All the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions have the Find box located in the upper right of the desktop program screen.  I made a screenshot for the Find box from my 2017 Premier desktop edition, posted in the Answer box below.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies