justinmichaelhar

What’sThe difference between filing for free, and filing deluxe

ChrisVonHoep

TurboTax Deluxe is able to process more forms than the free version is, so those individuals with more complex returns can benefit from it.

If your return requires certain forms, it will prompt you to upgrade to the version capable of processing that form.

Attached is a list of the most common forms and the versions of TurboTax that support them.
wffontai

I'm retired, with only a small W2 income, two Pensions and Social Security as income, do I qualify for the free filing?

DMarkM1

It appears your situation would qualify for the Free Edition, but the only way to be sure is to start for free and see if an upgrade is requested along the way. 

Here is the general information on the Free Edition of TurboTax.  A simple return is a Form 1040 only, without any additional schedules. Simple tax situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free
Edition include:

• Itemized deductions
  • Business or 1099-MISC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on schedules 1-6, such as the Student Loan
    Interest Deduction

neworleansnatiive

I had gone through the process of filing my return and was complete/ready to file. In the last year or 2 I had been paying for the deluxe edition. I was attempting to confirm if I needed to pay or if I am eligible to file with the free edition.  I found this forum post and from what I read I believe it says I could file with the free edition. The site said I would need to completely clear/start over from the beginning. I wanted to verify I was correct before beginning the process again. I called and spoke with a rep and they stated I would need to pay because the free version ONLY includes W2.

I need to file the below forms -

W2

1099 DIV

1099 INT

Please confirm if I am able to file on the free version or if I will need to use the deluxe edition.

You can start in the Free Edition and if you enter something you need Deluxe for it will ask you to upgrade.  You can enter those into Free Edition.

In the Turbo Tax Free Edition, information that you can enter is limited now.  Why do I have to upgrade from the Free Edition?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379