turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I put as my occupation if I only worked 4 months last year? Should I put the position that I was working as or student (I am still in high school)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What should I put as my occupation if I only worked 4 months last year? Should I put the position that I was working as or student (I am still in high school)?

Your main occupation is going to and completing HS.

so..."HS Student"

Make sure you indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else in the "My Info"  section where you edit your name.  Miss that and you will severely PO your parents...and create a filing mess for you and your family.  Don't rush to file, and print out your forms and have your parent(s) review them before you file. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

If your are your parent's dependent, I recommend entering the occupation, STUDENT DEPENDENT.

Carl
Level 15

The IRS couldn't care less what you put for occupation - so long as you pay your taxes. Here's an example of a few "occupations" I've seen on filed and accepted tax returns over the years, and the IRS didn't so much as bat an eyelash.

Occupation                       Real Job

Mass Murderer           Pest Exterminator

Human Trafficker       Modeling Agent

Serial Killer                  Pest Exterminator

Drug Dealer                Pharmacy Technician

Car Jacker                  Worked for an automobile repossession company

Hijacker                       Aircraft Reposessor

Money Launderer        This guy worked at the U.S. Mint. His job was to wash newly minted coins.

Terrorist Eradicator     Navy Seal (I'm guessing he was on seal team six - but they won't say)

Computer Hacker       Guy worked for the CIA – nuff said.

Overall, the IRS could really care less how you get your money - so long as you pay your taxes on it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies