Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

What's the difference between a 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C?

Yes.  The forms 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C are health insurance forms for individuals issued by different entities::

• 1095-A - individuals will get form who purchased thorough Health Insurance Marketplace.
  • 1095-B - these are health coverage outside Marketplace.
  • 1095-C ( Employer Provided Health Insurance ) -individuals who worked full-time for large companies will received this form.

See, questions and answers about health insurance, link for information.

I filled out your on line form . It’s says that I have to put in a 1095-a total number but I have a 

1095-b. Should I refile and use the app.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Did you already submit your return?

If the return was rejected you can make the correction and re-submit the return.

You don't need to report form 1095-B, just keep it for your record. 

Revisit the Medical section to make sure you have entered the correct information.

• Login to your account 
  • Select Federal from the left menu.
  • Go to Deductions and Credits.
  • Scroll down to Medical.
  • Select Affordable Care Act form 1095-A
  • Answer No to the question Did you receive Form 1095-A from your health insurance Plan?

If the IRS accepted your return, you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund. Then you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. 

1. In TurboTax, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. Select Show and then select Amend (change) return, and then Amend using TurboTax Online. (If you don't see Your tax returns & documents, select Tax Home on the left.)
  2. Select the reason you’re amending and follow the instructions.

Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return won't be available until 03/25/2021

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I add these things to my 2019 return?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Although you do not need to prepare an actual amended return, in order to get the 8962 form you will need to follow the instructions to start the amended return.  Please see these links to help with this (if you prepared your original return in online software, you will need to obtain the download/cd version of TurboTax 2019):

The Form 1095-A is provided by the healthcare.gov marketplace or your state exchange.  Once you have a copy of the document, then you can enter it into your "amended" return following these instructions:  Where do I enter my 1095-A?

Keep in mind that you will not need to amend the return.  Rather, once you have gathered the information necessary to set up entering the 1095-A into the 2019 program, follow the instructions in this Help Article:  The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2020   (Although this article discusses 2020, the same steps will work for 2019 to prepare and print out the form).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TC057

Please refence the below from the IRS for tax year 2022.  Link is provided.

Instructions for Forms 1094-B and 1095-B (2022) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Form 1095-B is used to report certain information to the IRS and to taxpayers about individuals who are covered by minimum essential coverage. Eligibility for certain types of minimum essential coverage can affect a taxpayer's eligibility for the premium tax credit.

I have a 1095-B issued by the military. How does one obtain the premium tax credit if there is no way to claim minimum essential coverage utilizing the software? Am I missing some step or option within the software? Please tell me how to claim this premium tax credit using the software.

@TC057 Since you have health care coverage through the military and receive a Form 1095-B you are not eligible for the premium tax credit.

The credit is only available for eligible individuals who have health care coverage through one of the state Marketplace Exchanges or from healthcare.gov and receive a Form 1095-A.

TC057

Thanks for the swift clarification.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies