turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nkgonzal

What's the difference between a 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

Generally 1095-B forms are filed by insurers for: employers who use the SHOP, small self-funded groups, and individuals who get covered outside of the health insurance Marketplace. Does not need to entered in Turbotax.

1095-C forms are filed by large employers. If they are self-funded, they just fill out all sections of 1095-C. If they are fully insured, they get a 1095-B from the insurer and fill out Sections I and II of 1095-C. Does not need to be entered in Turbotax.

Form 1095-A -is an IRS form for individuals who enroll in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Typically it is sent to individuals who had Marketplace coverage. MUST ENTER IN TURBOTAX.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
marypinky

I received 2 1095C

i need a 8962 form and a 1095-a form
SherekaB

Generally 1095-B forms are filed by insurers for: employers who use the SHOP, small self-funded groups, and individuals who get covered outside of the health insurance Marketplace. Does not need to entered in Turbotax.

1095-C forms are filed by large employers. If they are self-funded, they just fill out all sections of 1095-C. If they are fully insured, they get a 1095-B from the insurer and fill out Sections I and II of 1095-C. Does not need to be entered in Turbotax.

Form 1095-A -is an IRS form for individuals who enroll in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Typically it is sent to individuals who had Marketplace coverage. MUST ENTER IN TURBOTAX.

I'm retired Military (United States Air Force) and receive a 1095-B from the Defense Finance & Accounting Services, not a 1095-A.  In order for me to file my return(s) electronic, the Turbo Tax Software requires that I have to input a value into monthly premiums paid, which in my case is Zero (0). The software doesn't not allow a Zero or a blank value. 

One of the primary reason for me to use Intuit Turbo Tax Software is the electronic transfer option, which is unable at present.  In previous years usage, I've not had this problem.  I don't want to have to use the U.S. Mail option due to the long time delay.

Hopefully, there is a work around for the issue and won't have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for our tax return to be processed.

Not sure where you are having this issue ... the 1095-B is entered nowhere in the program so undo the section you are in. 

If this is in the 1099-R entry section then deleting the form and entering it again avoiding any insurance related questions may cure this issue.

Appreciate the input.  Will redo.  Thanks

richligh

I spent hours looking for my 1095 form which turned out to be a 1095-C.    I apparently did not need this.

That information would have been helpful!

The program specifically asks for a 1095-A  issued thru the Healthcare marketplace ... if you had insurance thru work you would have just said NO and moved on.  

1095-a..2020.png

Gpad

My Granddaughter is a student and lives with us and we claim her as a deduction on our tax return. Her health insurance is covered by her father’s federal employment. She received form 1095-C from a part time job. I am trying to fill out her 1040 return for her but cannot get past how to report 1095-C Information. Can you help?

You are confused ... a 1095-C is an informational form showing she had health insurance and is NOT reported anywhere on an income tax return.   It has NOTHING to do with her having income.  So did she have a W-2 form ?    Or did she get a 1099-misc ? 

Gpad

She had two w-2 forms from different part time jobs. TurboTax keeps asking me to fix the 1095-A which I don’t have. Thanks

Remove the 1095-A you started ... return to that section ... say yes you have a form then delete the form. 

bobsummerlin
Returning Member

Ok., it says I don't have to enter 1095-C. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies