Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in MN and worked for a NY employer for part of the year but from my home. The W2 that my employer sent me shows MN as the state in box 15. Does this mean I don't have to file a NY tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I live in MN and worked for a NY employer for part of the year but from my home. The W2 that my employer sent me shows MN as the state in box 15. Does this mean I don't have to file a NY tax return?

What's reported in box 15 doesn't necessarily mean anything, but if there's a corresponding amount of tax withheld in box 17; then you'll definitely need to file for the state. 

However, if you lived and worked in MN, you don't need to file a NY return just because your employer is located there (unless state tax was withheld to get it back). If your box 15 has MN, but there's no corresponding amount in box 17 leave box 15, employer ID and box 16 blank.  If your box 17 has an amount, fill in the box 15 -17 exactly as on your W-2. In either case, you'll need to file a MN tax return. 

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

What's reported in box 15 doesn't necessarily mean anything, but if there's a corresponding amount of tax withheld in box 17; then you'll definitely need to file for the state. 

However, if you lived and worked in MN, you don't need to file a NY return just because your employer is located there (unless state tax was withheld to get it back). If your box 15 has MN, but there's no corresponding amount in box 17 leave box 15, employer ID and box 16 blank.  If your box 17 has an amount, fill in the box 15 -17 exactly as on your W-2. In either case, you'll need to file a MN tax return. 

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies