Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a visiting student from Brazil at UNL. I worked on campus for 7 months and I'm going back to Brazil. What is the step by step to file my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a visiting student from Brazil at UNL. I worked on campus for 7 months and I'm going back to Brazil. What is the step by step to file my tax return?

On a J1 visa you are considered a non-resident and will file a form 1040-NR to pay income tax on your US income only. Turbotax does not include form 1040-NR.  

Turbotax recommends Sprintax for non-resident aliens, although there are also other providers.  You will need your W-2 from your employer which will be sent by January 31, 2018.  Make sure you can download your W-2 electronically from your university and/or make sure they have your home mailing address.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4028799

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What kind of visa were you on?

J1 Visa

Are you referring to a 2016 return; i.e., last year?  What dates were you in the USA?  Were you here in previous years?

No, it's about this year, 2017. I'm in USA right now. I have been working from 04/01 to 10/31. It means 7 months full time at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. But I'm going back to Brazil in 11/28.

On a J1 visa you are considered a non-resident and will file a form 1040-NR to pay income tax on your US income only. Turbotax does not include form 1040-NR.  

Turbotax recommends Sprintax for non-resident aliens, although there are also other providers.  You will need your W-2 from your employer which will be sent by January 31, 2018.  Make sure you can download your W-2 electronically from your university and/or make sure they have your home mailing address.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4028799

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies