Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the “filers federal ID no.”

I am manually entering my schools information as they never sent a 1098-T form. It’s asking for a “filers federal ID number.” What is that, and where can i obtain that
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Try to log into your online college account and go to their financial section to get financial details. If you didn't receive a Form 1098-T, you can still enter your school expenses without a Form 1098-T. When you come to the screen asking if you received a Form 1098-T, simply answer “no” to that question and proceed with the rest of the interview. 

To report your Education expenses:

• Login to your account.
  • Select Federal from the left menu.
  • Go to Deductions and Credits.
  • Scroll down to Education.
  • Select Start next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Maya, You didn't answer the question. We need to know what the Filer ID is and where to find it.  If it is the School's Federal ID, the form should be straightforward and use that term.  Remember, we use Turbo Tax because we're not accountants.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

The ''filer's federal ID no.'' is at the top of Form 1098-T.   If you don't have Form 1098-T, you have to answer NO to that question.  You will only be asked for that number if entering Form 1098-T as it is specific to the school.  The ID number is referenced as Filer's employer identification number on the form.    @Mapper23

I will give it a try. Thanks

What if our kids are in school like elementary?? Do we just leave it blank? Tia 

@AmberLynne Your children are in elementary school?

EDUCATION EXPENSES

Education expenses for grades K-12 are not deductible on your Federal return, whether for private, public, or home schooling, nor are the expenses for tutoring, after school lessons or after school activities, such as dance lessons, sports, etc.  Some states allow deductions/credits for K-12 education and/or home schooling expenses; if your state has these deductions available, you will be prompted to enter them when you prepare your state return.  (As far as I know, the states that offer any sort of K-12 deductions/credits are Arizona,  Illinois, Indiana, Iowa,Louisiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Liberty university 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please contact the school to get their EIN number. 

That number is required when entering education expenses for an education credit on a Federal Return.

For questions regarding Form 1098-T from Liberty University, please e-mail studentaccounts1098@liberty.edu.

Liberty University Website link

@Troubs5355 

jelorden

I have the EIN number for my college, which is in Canada. Should I put the EIN number for my school where it says "Filer's federal ID no."?

Thank you!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes

That is the same thing- "Filer's Federal ID no." and "EIN". 

jelorden

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies