Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is my Blended Tax Rate?

Hi I don't really know what I'm doing here. I was filling my taxes and I saw I had a 10% Blended Tax rate, and I'm just confused what it is, and why it's so high? I work part time and earned a little over 17,000 in wages last year. I do not own any stocks or investments or anything. I'm just confused why I didn't pay anything last year but this I have this really big tax this year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Your income puts you in the 10% tax bracket according to the bracket calculator. Income of $17,000 would be about $400 tax liability. If you had no tax withheld during the year, you would owe it all. Please take a look at your 1040 tax form.

• Line 9 total income
  • Line 15 taxable income
  • Line 16 tax
  • Line 25 tax withheld at work

You probably earned less last year. Anyone below the $12,950 mark would not have a tax liability. As you can see the deduction on line 12. The first tax bracket, the lowest, is 10%.

To see your forms:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Oh, ok. I guess I'm just confused, nobody else I know with a similar bracket is getting so little back in their return, I just don't get the math, but I guess it's right 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

How much you get back is dependent upon how much you pay in.   If you and your neighborhood both made 20K, you both owe the same amount.   But if they had more taxes withheld, see Box 2 of your W-2, then they are going to get a larger refund.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies