Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What is a 8960 hold reject code

This should be fixed now. My return was accepted this morning.

I am using desktop Home & Business and just recently got a software update. No changelog, though.
TaxFun

TT really should have had some official communication.  

@skareagle8 did you make any changes or did you just resubmit as is and it was accepted?

I made no changes and it was accepted within an hour this morning

I just got through to Turbo Tax by phone. They are aware of the issue, and it appears that it is a software problem. There is an update being issued tomorrow, March 28 that should resolve the issue. Here's keeping my fingers crossed...

jeffstri

Prior to the March 28 update, the program allowed form 8960 line 9b (state, local, and foreign income tax allocated to investment income) to be more than $10,000. The 8960 worksheet was missing a comparison of the proportion of these taxes allocable to investment income, to the maximum allowed deduction of $10,000; the lesser of these is entered in line 9b. The error should only have affected those itemizing deductions and having a calculated proportion of state, local, and foreign income tax to be allocated to investment income more than $10,000. It didn't affect those who took the standard deduction. I e-filed March 22 taking the standard deduction and my return was accepted in 30 minutes.

TT3

Link to TurboTax FAQ page saying March 28:

https://ttlc.page.link/8960

Some TurboTax users are experiencing a tax filing rejection 8960_hold

This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

Please review the reason for the reject. If necessary make the appropriate change and re-submit this return electronically. However, if the reject continues you may want to file this return via U.S. Mail, print this federal return and mail it to the appropriate IRS Service Center.

Resolution

Your tax return has been rejected pending a product update expected to be released tomorrow March 28th. Please check again tomorrow for updates and submit your return.

L91jUife8
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L91jUife8_US_en_US

Answered by TurboTax FAQ to this question

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies