turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WHAT IF I DONT HAVE A CONTROL NUMBER ON W2 FORM?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You do not need one.

You don't need one. That is just a number that the payroll team uses to identify your W-2 for their system purposes. This is not something the IRS needs, so as long as you input something in this format, you can proceed. 

Just put in that combination of numbers in this specific format 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890). Do not enter any letters, only numbers. 

So enter it like this with a space in between each set of 5 digits 13002 96888 and it should let you proceed. 

NOTE: If you are trying to import, click Skip import and key it in manually. This workaround won't work when importing. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4417180

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You do not need one.

You don't need one. That is just a number that the payroll team uses to identify your W-2 for their system purposes. This is not something the IRS needs, so as long as you input something in this format, you can proceed. 

Just put in that combination of numbers in this specific format 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890). Do not enter any letters, only numbers. 

So enter it like this with a space in between each set of 5 digits 13002 96888 and it should let you proceed. 

NOTE: If you are trying to import, click Skip import and key it in manually. This workaround won't work when importing. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4417180

A control number on the W-2 is not required to file your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies